Wednesday, December 26, 2007

welcome to the jungle

bienvenidos a la selva...

Well, not exactly jungle. But welcome to Puyo, capital of Pastaza province, Ecuador´s largest and least-populated. I got into town today and met up with Jeremy, my peace corps contact, and we went out to Frates, my volunteer home for the next month or more. 16 km on the Via Macas road, and 10 km further to Frates. That 10 km took us 2 hours and 5 minutes to walk back, after we missed the bus and failed to flag down a ride. the road being unpaved means there are lots of available weapons aganst the local dogs. I got one leg-shot which, judging by the yelps, was pretty effective.
Good news: the 30 cm (Lo siento, but I can´t give you the metric conversions. I keep remembering the article in The Onion about how the youth of America are unable to do the metric conversions, except that they´re somehow really good at converting grams/kilograms to ounces/pounds... I´m gonna do my part to change that situation) of rain that fell in 6 hours last Wednesday is mostly gone. The road is once again passable, and the water is back. As is the electricity, and Antonio was using it for his newest purchase, an $800 stereo that might cost a quarter of that in the states. Yes, he´s paying in installments. He did get a poisonous spider off me though...
The key thing about Puyo is that it doesn´t have oil, which means that, unlike some of the other Ecuadorian jungle towns, it´s not muy peligroso. The most interesting thing I´ve seen in town this evening: a neon-green building, 2 floors. On the bottom floor, the Chameleon Karaoke Disco Bar. On the top floor: Alcoholicos Anonimos. The least interesting thing I´ve seen this evening: The Bulls getting blown out in San Antonio, on ESPN2 on TV in my room.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're in south america, and you're watching tv? man, go out there and get laid! or at least post and tell us all about the amazing plants and animals you're seeing.... good to hear you're surviving the jungle. take a photo of a neat bug for me!